As with everything else, you have to understand digital strategy well in order to practice it. Sometimes, you only learn through trial and error. But, at other times, you can learn from the experiences of other people too. This way, you’ll know what to avoid, such as keyword-stuffing, long articles without any subheadings and photos which are unclear in thumbnails. You’ll also learn what you should try to do more of, such as introducing keyword variety, using clear and striking photos and maintaining a clean-looking website. These are some of the things that people with experience in digital strategy usually recommend:
- Don’t do keyword-stuffing. At one point of time, people used to pick a keyword and keep using it in their content in order to get more hits. Now, however, search engines have wised up to this strategy and will actually penalize you if you do this.
- Don’t write very long articles. Reading on the internet is not like reading in a magazine. It may not be unusual to see an article which is several pages long in a magazine. But this will be too much for someone browsing the internet.
- Do break up your content using subheadings. This makes it easier to read. You can also use bullet points and lists which are very appealing to the internet reader.
- Don’t use panoramic photos. When people do a search for a topic, they’re going to get a number of search results which include small photos. So it’s best to use close ups which are clear even at thumbnail size rather than panoramic photos which are not. (If you can tell what’s in your panoramic photo when you view it as a thumbnail, it’s ok to use it.)
- Do design an intuitive website. This means keeping the website clean-looking and not too busy. Plus, the headings of your tabs should be easy to understand and the material under these tabs should be relevant to the headings.
- Do post on social media as often as possible. You can’t start a social media account and then let it sit there unused. If you want to attract new customers, you have to keep the conversation going.
- Do start a blog and update it as often as possible. Fresh material is the only way to get new people to visit your website. And if you’re writing something that will add value to the life of your consumer, then all the better.
Contact us for more dos and don’ts when it comes to digital strategy.